Sunday 6 March 2011

6th march 2011

    Well hello there!
         I know it sounds bad, boasting and all that, but I can't help it! I went to Coventry today expecting humiliation at the national 10 miles, but it all worked out at the end. I started off slowly, but got dragged along and went with it. There were some good walkers there, very good walkers, but I knew I wasn't going to do anything spectacular. I was making up the team. I started off okay, walking sub 10 mins miles for the first five miles, then the knee started sending memo's to the brain, sort of "Oy, calm down a bit, we're not quite ready for this!" so I eased off. So I tried to keep to 10 minutes a mile. It felt okay, but as the good walkers passed me, then passed me again, I worried. Still, I kept the long term plan in mind. It was a case of, injury or Parish, and more.
        Still, as I finished my penultimate lap, and 1 hour 40 was in sight, spurred on and finished in 97.53, I think, definitely less than 100 minutes, so was quite pleased.
      At the presentation though, as they announced the team results, I, as well as the rest of the Yorkshire  team, was pleasantly surprised to find that Yorkshire had won! So, a gold medal (which I'm not taking off!!! Sod you, it's mine!!!!) and a massive trophy over 100 years old.
     It makes all the training worth while.

        On another note, an organisation into triathlons and ultra events has organised an event in August at the Humber Bridge from 7pm to 7am, 12 hours to cross the bridge as many times as possible. I've entered before I can change my mind. 4 miles round trip, (it's a big bridge...) I hope to race walk 15 crossings. I've neglected my duties with Macmillan Cancer Support over the last year, what with my work in Barrow in Furness, so this is my way of making it up. Lot's of sponsorship forms going out, and lot's of pubs in Hull doing charity nights to make it all up. Surprisingly, I'm looking forward to walking backwards and forwards over the bridge. Should be fun. (at least my definition of fun... at least my new definition!) If anyone wants to add a couple of quid for those in need, there is an easy way of doing it. Just a few clicks on this home page. Remember, there are people out there who appreciate all your help, and cancer can affect all of us.

No comments:

Post a Comment